Custom Search

Sunday, August 31, 2008

日本のサンバ:浅草 Samba in Japan: Asakusa Festival

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/images/photos2008/nn20080831a4a.jpg

Saturday was the annual Asakusa Samba Carnival, held in Asakusa, Tokyo. Click here for a Japan Times article describing the event.

I attended the event in 2005 with my wife, who danced samba at the time and was a participant. I have to say I was thoroughly disgusted with the whole thing. The dancing was fine (I've always been amazed at samba in Japan--everyone is quite dedicated). The disturbing thing was the number of chikan (perverts) lining the streets to take pictures of asses.

For those who don't know samba, most of the outfits are quite skimpy and t-back bottoms are the norm. Also, for those who don't know--Japan is quite famous for chikan, and for odd-varieties of chikan. Anyway, the whole thing was almost too much to take. Some of these lecherous folks had arrived at the wee hours of the morning to secure a good spot for their ass hunting. What surprised me most was that there were quite a few older women getting in on the action too (apparently they sell the photos to websites and magazines--yuck).

These perverts were totally unabashed in their quest for bum shots. Good god all mighty.

Anyway, good job to all the participants. And, watch your asses!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Japan is quite famous for chikan, and for odd-varieties of chikan."

Hmm... stereotyping much? How simplistic. :) How is this different from my "black and white" view that the Japanese treat Americans nicely?

I responded to your argument in my blog. Oh god how your "logic" doesn't hold any water. lol

だから。。。お前だって馬鹿だよ本当に。。。「くそ外人」ってよく言われない?

Troy said...

Hi there
This isn't really a comment regarding your post, but more that I found your website via the abuse that you suffered after posting on the Anti-American website.

I wrote back to them after being slandered, but my reply was not posted and have put a post on my blog as a reply. There I was also attacked...Moral of the story??? Dunno

NipponBlogger said...

Thanks for the comment Troy. I've been busy, but was finally able to compose a response to virgomonkey, which she has yet to post on her own blog. Go figure.

You can find it here: Belated response to "The Most Hilarious Comment I've Received to Date"